Sunday, September 25, 2016

Gluten Free Cinnamon Sugar Donuts

As per usual with growing tiny humans, my pregnancy has made me crave some not-so-healthy things. I'm not sure what that's about, but being much more health conscious with this little #4, I do my best to make my cravings as "clean" as possible.

I woke up on Saturday morning pining for donuts, but remembered I had some fun donut pans I had only used once or twice, and KNEW I could find a recipe that would settle my craving without leaving me with a belly ache afterward.

(Here are the donut pans I have! Wilton Nonstick Donut Pans )

I was really pumped that I had ALL of the ingredients in my pantry, lol (that usually doesn't happen, know what I mean?)

Some of these ingredients might be new to you, but they have become total staples in my house. If you aren't sure where to find some of them, your local healthful store will definitely have them. But I've been really impressed by our local grocery store and even Target for starting to carry a lot of these!

All in all, these were a WIN with my family. Kids loved them, the flour I used made them super fluffy and cake-like (versus grainy like some gluten free baked goods can seem), and will definitely be made again! ENJOY!



INGREDIENTS
Doughnuts:
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar (I used coconut palm sugar)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 11 1/4 oz. (about 2 2/3 cups) all-purpose gluten-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour)
  • 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum (omit if your flour blend has xanthan gum already in it- Bob's Red Mill already has it)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp. to 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup almond milk
Topping:
  • 5 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup sugar


INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 425°. Spray mini doughnut pan with non-stick cooking oil spray.
  2. In the bowl of your electric mixer, cream together the butter, oil, and sugars until smooth.
  3. Add the eggs and vanilla, beating until smooth.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
  5. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk to the butter mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix on low just until everything is thoroughly combined.
  6. Scoop the batter into a gallon-size Ziploc bag and seal tightly. Use scissors to snip off a bottom corner. Squeeze the batter out of the opening into the cavities of the doughnut pan, filling until almost flush with the top of the cavities
  7. Bake at 425° for 7 minutes or until they are a pale, golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in a doughnut comes out clean.
  8. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes. Turn the pan over to turn doughnuts out onto a cooling rack.
  9. Repeat with remaining batter, spraying pan again with cooking spray between batches. Makes 4 dozen.
  10. While doughnuts are cooling, make the topping.
Topping:
  1. Melt the butter in a small bowl.
  2. In another small bowl, whisk together the cinnamon and sugar.
  3. Take each cooled doughnut, dunk the top half in the butter, then in the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat. Place on rack or tray to set. Enjoy!
  4. These can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment